15 May 2020

unsettled

your car was parked in a vacant lot
one that we often found ourselves in

when we didn't know where to go
but we weren't ready to go home

but this time it was different.

we were quiet
we're never quiet

not when we're together

i held my breath
clenched my fists
and focused on the fact

now's not our time.

you sat to my left,
a console between us

a forceless barricade
that felt like a necessary divide

it stopped me from
saying what i wanted to say
doing what i wanted to do

we parted ways shortly after
marking the start of something that'd never end

--

i revisit this moment often and long for the opportunity to say "see you later" again. regardless of scenes that unfold in my mind, all end with the profound understanding that we're meant to find each other again.

i hope when that time comes, it'll be for good.

No comments: